Sunday, June 10, 2007

Serendipity at the Salad Bar

Whenever I take a trip to a salad bar, you can be sure that I have pre-conditioned my mind into minding what the composition of my salad plate will be. After all, anybody who takes such a jaunt to a salad bar is presumed to be opting for a light alternative to a hefty meal, one that will complement her/his weight-control regimen and will not be too taxing to the digestive mechanism. So as I take my last few steps toward where the edible greens and bits and pieces are, I make one final pact with myself that I will keep my salad healthful by making it simple. Only the basics such as greens, vegetables, fruits, beans, small pieces of lean meat and a moderate amount of light dressing shall make up my wholesome plate.

A trip to a salad bar in Austin one fine Saturday noon was not supposed to be any different. As I was patrolling its perimeters, I was hunting for the different varieties of greens that supply some fiber and are low in calories. I was particularly looking for the dark-green ones like arugula and spinach which are known to provide more beta-carotene, vitamin C and other nutrients than the paler varieties. [Read Full Article]

No comments: